Canning. The work of it... chopping, cleaning, stirring, measuring. And the mess of it. Sticky floors, cupboards covered with cloths, knives, bowls, lids and jar boxes.
What makes it worth it? Rows of beautiful jars lined up on my cupboard.
And the lovely sound of snapping lids. Oh yah... that's a sound I love to hear!
And the lovely sound of snapping lids. Oh yah... that's a sound I love to hear!
Usually just as I finish cleaning up the snapping begins. "Snap" goes one lid... and I think "ahh... another success". It's a promise that I have done my job well and my labours will be protected through the winter season. It's also a positive reinforcement, right there in my kitchen. And it happens multiple times - with each little jar that seals, which is almost as delicious as what's inside the jars. And let me tell you - my Mom's recipe for salsa is really awesome. The pie filling / apple crisp filling - oh yah!
You can see that I did salsa, apple pie filling and crabapple jelly. I also canned dill pickles and froze whole strawberries / raspberries to make into jam later, or use for smoothies. YUM! I love fall!
Mmmmmm, can I come to your house pretty please?! That apple filling looks divine, kay?! Love you Laurette! You are just so talented in so many areas! I would love to hear the snapping of lids too! Way to go my sista!
ReplyDeleteYum, yum, yum! You are doing awesome preserving all those great foods to enjoy in the winter! It would be so much fun to do that together - I have done a few things too, but not as much as you!
ReplyDelete